On Feb 18, 2006, at 6:06 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

At 14:48:13 -0500 on 2/18/06, Len Gerstel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

1) remove the DLYD Start jumper,
   you do not want the drive to delay startup.

I thought that just delayed response to the poll request so that the drive had time to spin up to speed and thus would have no adverse affects wrt mounting. ????

Found this on Hitachi's site:

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/dcas/dcasjum.htm

While for a different drive, the info and definitions should still be the same.

Disable auto spin up (JP5)

This jumper controls how the drive starts when power is applied. If the jumper is NOT installed then the file will spin up automatically after power-on reset. If the jumper IS installed the file will NOT spin up unless the host system issues a 'START UNIT' command to the file.

Unit attention disable (JP7)

When this jumper is installed the drive will not generate a unit attention following a power on reset (POR) or SCSI bus reset. Any pending unit attention conditions will also be cleared at POR or SCSI bus reset.

Auto start delay and delay start (JP9,JP10)

The auto start delay and delay start pins control when and how the drive can spin up, with the combination of auto spin up option (JP5).

When in auto spin up and start delay mode the drive start will be delayed by a period of time multiplied by its own SCSI address. If auto spin up is disabled, these jumpers will be ignored.

Disable      Auto      Auto
auto         start     start
spin up      delay     delay
                       6/12
JP5          JP9       JP10      Option
on           don't     don't     Drive will NOT spin up
             care      care      requires start command
off          off       off       Spin up immediately
                                 after POR
off          on        off       Spin up six seconds
                                 multiplied by SCSI
                                 address after POR
off          on        on        Spin up twelve seconds
                                 multiplied by SCSI
                                 address after POR

You want the drive to spin up immediately after POR (powering the system up)

I came found out about these settings by trial and error. You normally won't hurt a drive with the jumpers in the wrong setting, and I found that having those jumpers off normally worked for me.

HTH,
Len

 --> AOL users, remove "mailto:";
Send list messages to:   <mailto:pci-powermacs@mail.maclaunch.com>
To unsubscribe, email:   <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
For digest mode, email:  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subscription questions:  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Archive:<http://www.mail-archive.com/pci-powermacs%40mail.maclaunch.com/>

iPod Accessories for Less
at 1-800-iPOD.COM
Fast Delivery, Low Price, Good Deal