At 08:09 PM 04/05/2007 +0300, David Grossman wrote
 I have no way of knowing whether any of those mysterious updates
are safe.

I usually wait a few days and read some of these lists. If there's a problem, you'll usually hear about it on all the tech lists.

Perhaps even before that stage: How do I know the name of the download that
they want to send me?

I can right-click on the bubble and have a screen appear, naming the updates. If you select an update, you should get a description of it. The download process is separate from the install process, so you get a last chance at not letting something install even after downloading.

Somewhere along the line I've been told that even though I don't use IE or OE, I should keep those things updated. At least IE is so integrated into Windows that if you don't keep it updated, other things may not function correctly.

Sue
  • PCWorks: Bubbl... David Grossman
    • Re: PCWor... Sue Cubic
      • RE: P... David Grossman
        • R... Sue Cubic
          • ... Hugh Vandervoort
        • R... Ben Moore
          • ... David Grossman
        • R... Clint - OrpheusComputing.com & ComputersCustomBuilt.com
          • ... David Grossman