Hey Matju,

From my perspective, adding -lstdc++ has more problems than just making a simple libstdc++.pd_linux and loading that. For example, the Debian package will then require libstdc++. Plus it means another difference from Pd-vanilla. Its not really something I know about, and therefore would not be a candidate for maintaining it. Someone else would have to step up on that front. The libstdc++.pd_linux could easily be included with Gridflow. Or using the libdir format like Gem perhaps, where it loads a shared library first as part of the process of loading the lib.

Do you have any documentation on this as a suggested workaround?

.hc

On Aug 23, 2009, at 2:30 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

Hi Hans,

Could we please get Pd-extended to link the "pd" executable to libstdc++.so ? Afaik, this is a fix for a possibly wide category of problems but that is currently only "known" to affect GridFlow when loading GEM while the driver named "fglrx" is in use (ATI video).

AFAIK, this problem affects any lib that uses the "throw" keyword in C++ code, whenever the ATI driver is loaded _before_ the standard library of C++, in which case it will provide its own version of a portion of the C++ standard library, which is incompatible (sort of like the DLL Hell on Windows). This driver is typically loaded by anything linked to OpenGL directly or indirectly (usually GEM, but could also be 3DP, OpenSceneGraph, etc)

So, what I'm asking, is to link Pd itself to a library that it doesn't need, in order to force the bug out, so that this problem doesn't have to be addressed anywhere else. I believe that it is far easier to prevent this bug from the Pd executable than to make any kind of elaborate circus with the loading-order of pdsettings and pdrc and a little dummy .pd_linux (which has -lstdc++ without using it, and has an empty _setup).

If you want, you can think of it as the first step for putting GridFlow in pd-extended.

diff from Claude:

--- pd-0.41-4/src/makefile.in.orig 2008-03-15 00:03:00.000000000 +0000
+++ pd-0.41-4/src/makefile.in   2009-08-23 18:55:35.000000000 +0100
-121,7 +121,7 @@
$(CC) $(CFLAGS) $(STRIPFLAG) -o $(BIN_DIR)/pdreceive u_pdreceive.c

$(PDEXEC): $(OBJ) $(BIN_DIR)
- cd ../obj; $(CC) $(LDFLAGS) $(DBG_CFLAGS) -o $(PDEXEC) $ (OBJ) $(LIB) + cd ../obj; $(CC) $(LDFLAGS) $(DBG_CFLAGS) -o $(PDEXEC) $ (OBJ) $(LIB) -lstdc++

$(BIN_DIR)/pd-gui: $(GOBJ) $(GSRC)
cd ../obj; $(CC) $(INCLUDE) -o $(BIN_DIR)/$(GUINAME) $(GOBJ) $ (GLIB)