On Sep 22, 2009, at 12:38 PM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
2) remove "m_pd.h" from externals and use <m_pd.h> (why do I need to have PD source to compile my external? This should be installed as any other library and linked with -l option; the m_pd.h should be installed on /usr/include also)
sounds good

hmm, Debian's official "pd" package already installs m_pd.h into / usr/include/.

personally i have long been voting for an official "pd.h" header, rather than having the "m_" stuff lying around in my official includes.

for the PD_SRC, see below.

I also support just a 'pd.h' but there will be quite a bit of hassle with that. The package could include a pd.h symlink to m_pd.h to start with.

3.1) Some build systems use a variable to point where is the pd source. This is bizarre for me... let's make a pd shared library and link to it...

i don't see it so bizarre.
there are two reasons for using a PD_SRC variable:
- first: m_pd.h is not installed on your system and you still want to compile the external. or you want to compile your external against a version of Pd that is not the same as the one officially installed.
this is something a developer comes along quite often.

- second, and this is more important: some externals depend on "private" headers of Pd (s_stuff.h, m_imp.h); now one can argue that it is bad style (though not necessarily "bizarre") to depend on private headers - it's fine for me but for some interesting objects there is no way around these private headers (personally, i think of iemguts; or all of the loaders; or...);
it would get bizarre to put the "s_stuff.h" into /usr/include :-)

(ah yes, put everything into /usr/include/pd/ and then use pkg- config to add /usr/include/pd to your path - this is a very standard way for keeping /usr/include tidy and it is indeed quite similar to what people are using the PD_SRC for)

finally, your conclusion seems to be more bizarre than the problem.
these PD_SRC variables point to the sources, not to the binaries.
i don't see how making a shared library (which is a binary) will help you at all here. (e.g. on linux i never "link" against Pd; but on all platforms i do need the headers)

This is how it is done already on Windows.

which is true and good, but (as pointed out above) unrelated to the variable pointing to the Pd source.

- Windows and Mac OS X builds would remain as one big package unless there is a CPAN-type system developed for Pd.

i agree (and honestly i don't think a CPAN-like system will happen anytime soon).

It will happen as soon as someone does it. :D I don't think anyone objects to the idea, right?

.hc