Hi there devs,

Does anyone know what is going on in the Ubuntu/debian packges for PDL?

If I do ‘apt install pdl’ then running pdl and doing ‘use PDL::Graphics::PDL’
gives a missing package error.

There is a message during the apt install that says:

sudo apt install pdl
Suggested packages:
  gsl-ref-psdoc | gsl-doc-pdf | gsl-doc-info | gsl-ref-html libhdf4-doc
  libhdf4-alt-dev hdf4-tools doc-base libastro-fits-header-perl
  libdevel-repl-perl libextutils-f77-perl libfile-map-perl libinline-perl
  libinline-c-perl libmodule-compile-perl libopengl-perl libpdl-fftw-perl
  libpdl-graphics-plplot-perl libpgplot-perl netpbm | imagemagick proj-bin

If I then install libpgplot-perl then ‘use PGPLOT’ works but not  ‘use
PDL::Graphics::PDL’.

(I note that libpdl-graphics-plplot-perl does not seem to exist and neither is
there anything like libpdl-graphics-pgplot-perl - see
https://packages.ubuntu.com/hirsute/pdl)

The module PDL::Graphics::PDL is pure perl, so there is no harm in including it
in the pdl package. I am guessing someone removed it from the debian(?) package
and intended to create libpdl-graphics-pgplot-perl as part of a package
refactoring, but did not. It almost looks like libpdl-graphics-plplot-perl is a
typo.

I am not sure if this is an Ubuntu issue or a Debian one, and I don’t really
following all the naming conventions of the metapackages and how Ubuntu
packages relate to Debian ones

Note the easy install page recommendation for Ubuntu/debian no longer works!

best

Karl

p.s. not relevant but  libpgplot-perl actually gives a re-implementation using
giza,