Anyone have an idea where to start?

Karl

On 2 Aug 2021, at 9:19 am, Ed . <ej...@hotmail.com<mailto:ej...@hotmail.com>>
wrote:

Hi Karl,

Ha, indeed I did link to results for PLplot, not PGPLOT. I would be quite
interested in the results of asking Ubuntu/Debian folks about this!

Best regards,
Ed

From: Karl Glazebrook<mailto:kglazebr...@swin.edu.au>
Sent: 02 August 2021 00:12
To: Ed .<mailto:ej...@hotmail.com>
Cc: pdl-devel@lists.sourceforge.net<mailto:pdl-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: Ubuntu/debian PDL packages & pgplot

On 2 Aug 2021, at 2:28 am, Ed . <ej...@hotmail.com<mailto:ej...@hotmail.com>>
wrote:

Hi Karl,

I might have missed something, but when you say “PDL::Graphics::PDL” did you
mean “PDL::Graphics::PGPLOT”?

Hi Ed, you are absolutely right! Oops. I’ve rewritten the email again below as
correctness is critical due to the multiple similar names,

In any case, looking at https://packages.ubuntu.com/hirsute/amd64/pdl/filelist
implies that there is indeed no PGPLOT.pm<http://pgplot.pm/> (though the demos
are present).

https://wnpp.debian.net/?type%5B%5D=RFP&project=libpdl-graphics-plplot-perl&description=&owner%5B%5D=yes&owner%5B%5D=no&col%5B%5D=description&sort=project%3Bdesc
 implies there is an open “RFP” (request for packaging) for
libpdl-graphics-plplot-perl, which in turn implies that if someone did create a
package, they would accept it.

Yes, but this is for the PLPLOT interface not the PGPLOT interface. I was
wondering if this was a typo and more generally if anyone on the dev list here
new what the plan was for the package refactoring on debian. I can take this to
the Ubuntu or Debian lists but thought I would start here first

---

Hi there devs,

Does anyone know what is going on in the Ubuntu/debian packges for PDL and the
PGPLOT interface?

If I do ‘apt install pdl’ then running pdl and doing ‘use
PDL::Graphics::PGPLOT’ gives a missing package error.

There is a message during the apt install that says:

sudo apt install pdl
Suggested packages:
  gsl-ref-psdoc | gsl-doc-pdf | gsl-doc-info | gsl-ref-html libhdf4-doc
  libhdf4-alt-dev hdf4-tools doc-base libastro-fits-header-perl
  libdevel-repl-perl libextutils-f77-perl libfile-map-perl libinline-perl
  libinline-c-perl libmodule-compile-perl libopengl-perl libpdl-fftw-perl
  libpdl-graphics-plplot-perl libpgplot-perl netpbm | imagemagick proj-bin

If I then install libpgplot-perl then ‘use PGPLOT’ works but not  ‘use
PDL::Graphics::PGPLOT’.

(I note that libpdl-graphics-plplot-perl does not seem to exist, logically one
might think there should be a libpdl-graphics-pgplot-perl but that is not even
mentioned - seehttps://packages.ubuntu.com/hirsute/pdl)

The module PDL::Graphics::PGPLOT is pure perl, so there is no harm in including
it in the pdl package. I am guessing someone removed it from the debian(?)
package and intended to create libpdl-graphics-pgplot-perl as part of a package
refactoring, but did not. It almost looks like libpdl-graphics-plplot-perl is a
typo?

I am not sure if this is an Ubuntu issue or a Debian one, and I don’t really
following all the naming conventions of the metapackages and how Ubuntu
packages relate to Debian ones

Note the pdl.perl.org<http://pdl.perl.org/> easy install page recommendation
for Ubuntu/debian no longer works!

best

Karl

p.s. not relevant but  the libpgplot-perl package actually gives a
re-implementation of pgplot using giza,