From: Diab Jerius<mailto:djer...@cfa.harvard.edu>
Sent: 16 August 2021 19:06
To: Ed .<mailto:ej...@hotmail.com>
Cc: Karl Glazebrook<mailto:kglazebr...@swin.edu.au>;
pdl-devel@lists.sourceforge.net<mailto:pdl-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [Pdl-devel] Ubuntu/debian PDL packages & pgplot

Ed,

I've fumbled my way through a couple of Alien::Build related modules, so that's
the approach I was considering.

There's a lot of old code which uses PGPLOT, so unfortunately that'll have to
be a continuing thing.  I just revived some 20 year old code that uses PGPLOT.

My applications involve tossing lots (millions) of points at the screen and
PGPLOT shines at that. It is fast, and knows how to draw a single pixel.  Few
packages can do that; they want to draw fancy vector or filled symbols.  Nice
for publication quality plots, but not when a scatter plot is what you need.
PGPLOT does have plenty of warts, to be sure!

I'll try to dig up some tuits somewhere.

Diab