From: Mike Johnston [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, 11 January, 2001 06:46
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Charlie Rose and Henri Cartier-Bresson

I must confess that I stayed up TWO HOURS past my usual beddy-bye time last
night to watch the putative "interview" performed by Charlie Rose with Henri
Cartier-Bresson, and I'm pissed as a wet cat. I had to sit through three
sappy female National Geographic photographers who had not a thing to say
but who looked like geniuses compared to the next photographer at bat, the
woeful Bruce Weber, whose most emotional and trenchant comments were when he
remarked in passing on the clothes his subjects were wearing, and whose big
emotional artistic moment was when he actually (no, really) forebore to
impose his camera on a peck of greeting between Jessica Lange and Sam
Sheppard, _despite_ the fact that Sam Sheppard had preened himself for the
camera. This was such a selfless act that our Hero of the Visual Imagination
was thereafter allowed to photograph Jessica and Sam together, thus adding
to the art world's store of priceless photos of overexposed celebrities
bussing each other. We're all eternally grateful I'm sure. Go home, Bruce,
go home.

Next up, the piece de merde, ten of the emptiest minutes of TV I've ever
watched on purpose, a rat-a-tat-tat of awkward questions posed to a halting
old man struggling against the language barrier by an interviewer who was
apparently only interested in, guess what, the celebrity value of the
subjects of some of the portraits, and whose idea of a piercing journalistic
question is "Who is better for you, Matisse or Picasso...to your eye [points
to eye] and your heart [points to heart]?" Gag me with a stirring rod. About
the only scant reward of the entire exercise was Henri's smile (still
charming after all these years) and the sight of him saying "I never crop"
while sitting directly in front of the _one_ famous picture of his which is
always cropped. But even that was ruined when Charlie Rose (who I've never
really watched before but who has now permanently convinced me of his
hopeless superficiality) teased Cartier that maybe one of his celebrity
photographs needed cropping and then laughed uproariously for way too long
about it before gazing soulfully at the camera and truncating the
non-interview with a "see you next time."

NOT.

--Mike

visit http://www.pdml.net and follow the directions.
visit http://www.pdml.net and follow the directions.