Shel Belinkoff wrote:

> dick graham wrote:
> >
> > Charlie Rose is one of America's
> > most respected interviewers, with
> > good reason.
>
> I like Charlie Rose, and I like the work he usually does.
> Last night's show was an example of the show was just about
> the bottom of the barrel.

I enjoy Charlie Rose, and gave him the benefit of the doubt as regards
his choices of photographs and questions. He seemed to have a connection
with HCB. Henri did have a problem expressing himself. That made the
interview halting, and frankly, boring, except for several comments that
HCB made that were quite insightful, and in some cases, humorous.

The image that Charlie held his hand over the left hand side and
mentioned maybe cropping would help (facetiously) was the bicyclist as
seem from above though the stairs and railings. The part Charlie wanted
to crop was the part of the building that occupies the left 1/6th of the
image, and does seem to make the photo "heavy" on that side, and
presents a visual "wall" the cyclist is heading into. But in my, and
HCB's opinion, it should stay, as it "supports" the railings and stairs
(or is it just a balcony?).

So here we sit and discuss to death every aspect of our cameras,
flashes, and the health and future of a family owned optical works, and
HCB basically says we are killing our work by thinking about it. A good
photograph can only be instinctual, "from the heart, without conscious
thought."

Truthfully, my best photos do come when I am "in the zone" and not
planning, just capturing as best I can how the subject makes me feel, or
trying to present to my unknown and unseen "best friend" what I see, so
they can enjoy it and perhaps understand me a little better as well.
--
JoMac, Imagineering Head
Image * I * Nation, the creative division of RMG Services NW