[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In a message dated 1/17/01 9:23:13 AM Pacific Standard Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> <<No, I believe that "most people", in the e.e.cummings sense of  the word,
> don't care that much to go to the extra expense, time, or spend the extra
> energy, to move up aa degree or two in quality.  Quality always costs, and
> most people have other
>  priorities. >>
>
> The great western cop-out being "I don't have time," time to learn what is
> good/bad, image or equipment wise. The roaring success of the "Elph" system
> says the same: "I want it extremely portable, fast and easy."
> The same "microwave/Polaroid" syndrome is driving the neophyte and some
> amateurs to digital for their "keepsake" images.
> *A good friend lost his mother-in-law last Saturday. His family gathered at
> his home yesterday, a kind of extemporaneous family "reunion." He asked if I
> wouldn't take a shot of his gathered family, the occasion having brought
> together all his sons and daughters for the first time in eleven years.
>
> For the price of a new roll of film for the 67ll, I spent nearly and hour
> taking the shots. Why? Because almost all his children (7 of 8) had digitals
> and wanted shots of the gathering for their own archives. I spent the first
> ten minutes or so taking the "formal" family shots, the rest of the time,
> shooting digital memoirs. His children will all appreciate the formal shots
> but right then, they had images in hand as they flew off to wherever.
> His children, all of them professionals, owned digitals because digital
> "works for me" they said when I asked, making your statement quoted above
> even more potent.

So which is better?  A nice mounted 8x12 print of the family
stuck in an album that hardly ever gets looked at, or a low-
resolution digital image as a backdrop on the computer screen?

It rather depends on what your priorities are.  People who have
chosen to go in for photography may have value metrics different
from other members of the population.  But it seems to me to be
more than a little arrogant to claim any inherent superiority.

It may be "I don't have time".  Or it may be "There are things I
choose to do with my time & money that are more important to me".
I suspect that somebody who has raised eight children would choose
very differently from me in a wide range of situations.

--
John Francis  [EMAIL PROTECTED]       Silicon Graphics, Inc.
(650)933-8295                        2011 N. Shoreline Blvd. MS 43U-991