>> Yes, there were some problems with the initial batch of 1270 inks.  That
>> problem, much like the problems with colour print materials from the mid
>> '70s, has apparently been licked.
>
>Do you have a source for this?  AFAIK, the problem (glossy prints
>fading to orange) is still there. Epson was giving refunds on the
>printers, I sent my 1270 back and got a 1160 with PiezographyBW
>instead.
>
>If you have further info, it would be great to know about it. I'm now
>tempted to get an 870 to be able to do some color work again...

The problem wasn't with the printer or the ink, it was with the Epson paper.
Epson gave refunds to those who complained (rightly) that they bought the printer
because of the
advertised print longevity and whether it was the paper, ink or paper was irrelevant
to them
Epson came up with an improved paper which began shipping to dealers on Dec 15, 2000.
The new Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper has stickers on the packaging with the
December ship date.

This info from the Feb 2001 issue of Shutterbug.
visit the Pentax Users' Gallery at http://pug.komkon.org.