annsann wrote, "All of you guys seem to think that what *that* woman
   didn't like about the picture was (just) the
   wrinkles.  But what I would be more displeased with from a vanity point
   of view is the heaviness in the neck.  I think cropping a lot around her
   very animated face with only the slightest bit of retin-a treatment
   would please her a lot more.

Good point/view.  I was just looking at the improvement in the wrinkles.
Someone else commented on the appearance of overdone pancake makeup.

These points reminded me of when I was doing portraits years ago.  I would
have loved to have had the PC tools for improving photos.  But back then, I
think a computer was called an abacus.  ; )  Our studio had an 'artist' who
oil colored the quality portraits, and I now remember thinking that she
made people look too unnatural.  I was 20 or so with a heavy 4:00 shadow,
and she made a portrait of me look so smooth skinned that I could have been
13 or 14.  My parents, nor my girl friend, wanted the finished work because
it was not pleasing to them.  I imagine you're very right about the amount
of softening and cropping.  I'll have to pay attention to these sentiments
when I start experimenting with a digital darkroom.

K.