It happened to a friend of mine.  He had an older PowerPC, and it got full
of dust and it toasted the board.  The repair person basically told him it
was trash, despite the fact drive still spun up and stuff.  I never took a
look at but I don't have any reason to doubt him.  He got a PC to replace
it by the way.

As for iMacs I realize they do have 1 PCI slot, but that will not get you
very far.  My PC has 4 PCI slots, all filled, and that doesn't even include
the video which sits in it's own AGP slot.  I would not be happy with just
one.  The iMac gets help because most have the Lan cards built in though,
while few PCs do this.  But you can't have much room to ather upgrades,
especially since the video, sound, are part of the motherboard and the chip
is basically soldiered on.  And the monitor is part of the computer.

Todd