Ralf wrote:

> Taking the Minolta 7 and EOS 30/Elan 7 into account, we indeed have a
> new class arising here, the $650-800 class. Isn't this the class Paal
> delared to be dead? The big split in amateur (<$500) and
> knowledgeables (>$1000) on the SLR market? Doesn't seem so.

It certainly wasn't my invention declaring this kind products dead. Its the latest
marketing mantra. Its called kudos marketing. Its a trend proved by sales statistics
in almost all fields. Basically the modern consumer demands two things: either a cheap
good deal or a product with high brand values. The first one is value for money
products that shouldn't cost much; the second is lifestyle products or products where
the brand signal is strong and where the price is less important (in fact high price
is a plus). This is beatufully illustrated by the MZ-S that mixes features and package
usually connected with cheaper products with but built and marketing signalizing
high-end. Its no conicidence that the MZ-S is fundamentally different from the Z-1p.
The market has changed. The Limited lenses are also an example of kudos marketing.

Besides, the point here isn't what the cameras cost. But what they do. The MZ-S
targets new market trends by being specialized; small size is the MZ-S main kudos.
Similarly, eg. SUV vehicles are specialized or signalize a life-style. Likewise, some
designers APS cameras, or for that matter, Limited lenses. A Z-1p doesn't signalize
anything fashionable in todays marketplace and most people who wants features by the
numbers are more likely to choose a EOS3 or an EOS1V, which they in fact do. Not
necessarily because they are newer cameras, but because they make a clearer statement.
The MZ-S is indeed the clearest statement from Pentax simce the MZ-5; it represent
something new and with intelligent marketing, something Pentax isn't famous for, it
could have an impact. Whats more, the MZ-S is definitely a response to the majority of
the Pentax users wishes; wishes that were crystalized after the launch of the MZ-5.
These wishes was never(?) about fps or top shutter speed, but small size and no
nonsense. Pretty much what we got.

Whats interesting is whether this Sigma or the Minolta will sell; not that they exist.
Due to current marketing trends Nikon, which has strong brand values, enjoys sales
volumes of its upper level F100 which was pure science fiction a few years ago; mainly
because the consumer now want image something Nikon gives. They also experience high
sales of their cheaper products because of their high brand recognition. Even the Z-1p
was only saleable as a value for money product - it wasn't designed as one.
This market trend is also visible in the car industry where the mid class is expected
to be decimated in a few years because people will either by high branded small BMW
instead of a mid class Ford, or go for a SUV or multi purpose vehicle. And those with
noses for a low price will go cheap Korean car.

Pål