Well, here's my 2 cents, FWIW. When I bought my ZX-5n, I had to wait three
or four months, because it was on backorder (it had just come out). I bugged
the guy at the camera shop every week, because we were going on vacation
soon, and I wanted to take it with me. He finally pulled some strings and
got it for me at the price he'd originally quoted me. When my husband picked
it up, he threw in a new Sigma 28-80 ASP AF lens because I'd been a pretty
good sport about the wait (I was going to buy the Pentax 28-80 power zoom).
I was pleasantly surprised. The AF was quick and the lens seemed quite
sharp -- it also focused down to half life size at the 80 mm end, which has
been very useful. To make a long story short (TOO LATE!!!), that was three
years ago. I'm the editor of two small newspapers, and hardly a day goes by
that I don't use that lens for something. It's been dragged all over
northwest Arkansas and several other states, and I don't have one complaint.
It most certainly hasn't fallen apart, and it's had plenty of opportunities.

My husband had one also until he sold it to another local Pentax enthusiast
who uses it to photograph work he does for the Smithsonian, and he's tickled
pink with it. I'm seriously considering purchasing their new 28-135 so I can
give my old one to my husband, who misses his.

That's probably a whole lot more than you wanted to know, but unless I know
a particular lens is a dog (and every company seems to make at least one) I
certainly will consider Sigma whenever I look for a new lens. Sorry I made
you read all this crap... :)