>> >"All lens tests are wrong."
>
>Maybe. But I would like to know about Sigma, for Pentax k-mounts. I found
>this weird site on the web that is all about Sigma lenses. The first three
>quarters of all the postings there are horror stories from people completely
>knocking Sigma(s); ie; "they're trash held together by metallic tape, they
>fall apart quickly, the company doesn't know how to repair them, they don't
>meter or focus correctly with AF cameras, it's all false advertising..."
>etc, etc...
>
>The last fourth of the postings are in defense of Sigma, although these
>sometimes seem somewhat lame. -"Lenses are great for us non-pros because
>they're cheap and do the job, pros are harder on glass, more demanding, they
>don't know what they're talking about as Sigmas are actually quite good for
>the $$..." etc, etc...
>
>So, in a general PDML consensus, what is the story with Sigma?  (I have a
>personal reason for asking in that I want a fast WA, and they have a 28mm
>f1.8 that is amazingly low priced...?!?)
>Skip

I have no (zero) personal experience with Sigma lenses, but I did come
across a book on macro photography not too long ago that featured a lot of
photos taken with their 70-300 dl macro (even the photo on the cover, for
instance). They looked pretty good. The author of the book seemed satisfied
with that particular sigma lens.

Looking the 28/1.8 up on http://www.photozone.de/ , the people who used it
rated it thusly: perf. wide open: poor; perf. stopped down: good;
vignetting: critical; distortion: significant; color cast: slightly warm;
flare: quite heavy; optical perf.: sub-average; build quality: good. People
at http://www.photographyreview.com/reviews/35mm_lenses/product_4728.asp
really think it is something special. Looking at KEH, used Pentax manual
and AF 28/2.8s are going from $70-$170 (ranging from bargain to like-new,
minus).

I guess it all depends on your expectations

Good luck, (if it's only money, it's only money)
Dan Scott
[EMAIL PROTECTED]