Ralf wrote:

"Even though I think I have understood the concept behind the MZ-S, I
would be surprised if it becomes a _big_ hit. It might sell well,
especially in the first time though."

REPLY:
I agree but it's obvious to me that the MZ-S is not designed for high volume. This
makes sense to me because I believe it will be impossible to sustain a high
feature/high-volume camera in a shrinking SLR market where digital is expected to take
most of the feature laden gadget segment. The MZ-S is designed to survive in a this
shrinking market.

RALF:
"The class thing is nonsense in
my eyes, and the MZ-S is definitely not for the ones wanting a young
and wild camera at an attractive price (e.g. Minolta 7). It's more
for the retired. This will limit the cutomer base of course."

REPLY:
I believe that John was more thinking about a class act along the lines of the LX and
MX; camera that can sustain future interest in the Pentax system and a camera that can
maintain interest in the AF lens line-up; a camera that doesn't need the laste in
gadgets to stay relevant. Without the LX (and to some extent the MX) where would the
K-mount lens market be today?
I also do not think that the Minolta 7 philosophy is the only viable. The sucess of
the MZ-series is about small size and no nonsense.

Ralf:
"Yes, but is this positive? The MZ-S might get the image of a slow
camera with luxury attitude for the slow people with luxury attitude."

REPLY:
I don't think so. Basically the MZ-S is about size and no nonsense.
Although fps and top shutter speeds don't look good in convential comparisons tables,
the MZ-S has far more important features for real life shoothing. For many
photographers, small size, good interface and nifty features like mid roll rewind with
memory, data imprinting etc is of far more relevance than 1/6000s vs. 1/8000s.

RALF:
I know that it has the essential features, but I absolutely do not
feel well with luxury goods.

REPLY:
I do not feel that the MZ-S is about luxury. Rather about no nonsense.

Pål