>I'm spending this week working in a lab that has digital to
>photo paper printing capability.
>What a gong show.
>First, there seems to be no standards in the industry, and we
>are being asked to support 3 different memory card styles, plus
>microdrives, plus floppies and CDs.

[slight snip]

>Anyway, the people who make this stuff need to do some more
>market research. Maybe try to make digital photography easy.
>Film users can literally aim and shoot, and expect reasonable
>results, with no knowledge base.
>Digital users seem to need a course in rocket science to get
>pictures.

If I were in charge at Kodak, I'd settle on a method of digital storage,
whether it be CF card or whatever, I'd re-launch my digital hardware
(cameras and storage cards) in a humongous blitz, calling it Digital
Film, and force it into the family snapshot users' minds. All previous
digital standards are old and defunct! Digital Film is *the* replacement
for that old favourite 'film'. Now you can truly enter the digital age
with an exciting new range of digital cameras from Kodak, and they all
use just one way of keeping those cherished photos: Digital Film.

Buy a Kodak camera, or any of the following cameras (x, y, z), and use
Kodak Digital Film: an easy solution to all the complexity of taking
digital pictures. Simply drop it into your favourite high street lab and
you'll get back what you've always had in the past - beautiful prints on
Kodak paper, a CD of your photos so Uncle Ernie and Aunti Flo can have
some reprints later, and a freshly wiped Kodak Digital Film ready to take
some more super pictures. Digital memories with Digital Film, only from
Kodak.

This achieves several things. Importantly, it clarifies the process for
the average family snapper beyond simplicity itself. It's even easier
than film, because you don't need to thread the stuff from the old
outdated cassettes into the camera, you simply pop in the DF card and
away you go. Pics taken, you drop in the DF card to the supermarket
minilab, and for 3.99 you get back 2 or 3 dozen prints, a CD of all the
shots for any later reprints, and your DF card, wiped, ready to go again.

After it takes off, which it would ( 'Henry - which kinda camera shall we
get, it's all so confusing - look at all these cards and things - oh -
there's this Digital Film thing from Kodak, that sounds really easy...')
then other makers could get in on the act - Fuji Digital Film, Agfa
Digital Film, and so on. Sure they would be either a CF card or a memory
stick or whatever the standard was, but in the public conscioussness, it
would effectively be *the* replacement for film.

The real fly in the ointment is getting them to standardize the format :-)

.02

Cheers,

Cotty

PS- I'll bet that Wychwood's Hobgoblin that Kodak already hold the
trademark on 'Digital Film'......

Free UK Macintosh Classified Ads at
http://www.macads.co.uk/
Oh, swipe me! He paints with light!