William,

The story is true.  The couple is very well to do and her husband
wanted her to use the best P&S.  How he determined that, I don't know.
The lab owner said that she was afraid to tell him how much per roll
they were spending.  Even after explaining that she could reuse the
cards, she really had no clue how or what to do.  I suspect that now
she is just erasing the card after getting the prints.

Bruce