I once performed an experiment to see how much the operation of the shutter
of an Alpa Reflex vibrated the camera and how much it would interfere with
sharpness when used with high magnification optics. I put a Questar 3.5"
barrel on a stand on the optical bench. I attached an Alpa body to one of
the other fixing screws. So that the camera was beside the telescope, not
optically lined up, just sitting there. I focussed the telescope through an
open window on a telegraph pole some 200 yards away. While looking through
the eyepiece I fired the camera shutter with a cable release. The image
jumped about as much as it did when the stand was tapped with a fingertip. I
repeated the experiment with other cameras and there was not one in the lab
that didn't shake the telescope. We tried taking pictures too, of course,
and it was difficult. Long exposures, external shutters, and controlling the
exposure with the light are ways of solving this problem. All of them
impractical in the field with ordinary subjects.

I can't remember which eyepiece I used for that test, but it was probably
the 16 mm one. When used for photography one needs a Barlow lens which
effectively lengthens the focal length - making things much worse of course.
Even with telephoto lenses of moderate focal length - 500 mm or so - the
mirror clacking up and the shutter's sudden acceleration and stop will tend
to blur the image to some extent - but of course this only matters if shake
is the limiting factor. Considering these things I am amazed at how sharp
some of the pictures people take through long lenses at motor races, hockey
matches etcetera actually look.

Don Williams

http://personal.inet.fi/cool/don.williams
Author's Web Site and Photo Gallery