First of all it was dead calm. Even the tiniest movement would have caused
the snow to come down. That's the biggest problem. One night we have a heavy
snowfall. I look out in the morning. "Oh Boy its like fairyland!" I say,
getting  out the cameras. But by the time the sun is a diameter above the
horizon - 10:45 - the wind has come up. The snow is blown from the thin
branches and that's that. The pines and spruce are a little better than
birch, they have dense clumps of needles that hold the snow a bit longer.
And second ... the exposures were 1/250 and 1/500. I couldn't go faster
because I didn't have any fast film and since I was testing lenses adding
grain would not have made it easier to analyse the results. An external
shutter would eliminate the mirror and shutter contributions, but requires
absolutely static conditions and a lot of care and attention;  and
patience; and much insulation about the body too because when it still, its
pretty cold. Perhaps I have to test this lens in the house, or wait for the
summer.

Don

Dr E D F Williams

http://personal.inet.fi/cool/don.williams