Pål wrote: ------------------
> Sure, but I don't think LX with AF should be
interpreted litterally; more of an AF
> camera that occupies the LX place in the line-up.

Yes, that is how I have meant it.

>Both Nikon and Canon sell well of
> their upper level bodies. When a company like
Kyocera could manage to keep four (or
> was it more) upper end bodies in the market
simultaneously, neither of them selling in
> volumes, it is nothing but a total disgrace that
Pentax didn't manage a single one
> during the 90's.

Pentax' entire product line seems to be centered
around P&S cameras. I was told by a pentax rep that in
the early 90s (before they introduced the FA-series),
Pentax had almost dicontinued the 35mm SLR system. At
that time Pentax dramatically lost market share (35mm
SLR), but on the other side, their P&S zoom cameras
became extremely succesful. They continued their 35mm
system because they thought
- that making a 35mm system will boost the sales of
P&S cameras (as it shows their expertise as a camera
maker) and
- they will get new customers from those who want to
upgrade from a P&S camara to a SLR system.

I think this strategy was quite successful.They
survived and regained lost market share. It also
explains the product philosophy behind the MZ-cameras:
They are all either entry level cameras or for
students. Similar to the espio/iqz P&S cameras, they
make a large variation of MZ cameras that are all
based on one single platform. So they can appeal a
variation of different customers while keeping costs
low.

However, in this line up is no room for an expensive
model. You need another camera platform (expensive),
and such a model is much more difficult to sell with a
different marketing stategy and a higher risk.

> True, the LX was still around but it was beyond its
selling date. So
> Pentax deserve the reputation they now have; entry
level cameras there are no point in
> buying because if you buy a Nikon or a Canon, or
even a Minolta, you have something to
> upgrade to.

I think in the 90s the product management was even
hostile against high quality 35mm gear as they also
ditched the successor to the PZ-1p without any
replacement. Instead they kept the PZ-1p in the
product line for a IMO give away price (but
nevertheless couldn't sell much of them). As a result
everybody expects Pentax to be cheap.

There was (is?) no long-term marketing strategy for
high end 35mm gear. They did not even market the 35mm
SLrs as a system, they rather marketed single
products. Even up to now Pentax USA and Pentax Europe
do not bother with black limited lenses. Still no
ultra-wide Af lens.

> There are, however, signs that Pentax have gotten
the message.

I take the introduction of the MZ-S as an indication
that you are right. But things are slowly moving.
After the introduction of the MZ-S two years ago there
has been silence again. The photokina no-show must
have sent a desastrous message as they decided to
"semi-announce" the upcomming APS D-SLR through
internet groups (normally they remain tight-lipped
about news releases).

To be honest I think the product management has still
a long way to go. They don't communicate to the
customer in which direction they will go and what the
selling points of their products are. E.g. you have to
go to the Japanese web page to find out what the
complete product line is. And when the MZ-S was
introduced, they left it to the customer to find out
if it is made of die-cast parts or just of
metal-coated/plated plastic (due to an error in
translation).

> Also, I believe that
> digital will force higher end cameras from Pentax.
With some luck, we wil see film
> versions of the as well. If for nothing else, then
as a means for Pentax to cover
> developing costs. Full-frame higher-end 35mm digital
slr's will start competing with
> Pentax MF cameras. Also, MF need an upgrade path to
digital uless they want their
> whole MF line to be a dead end.

According to a rumor spread on the luminous landscape
forum, Pentax is still committed to a full frame D-SLR
(with FOVEON sensor). No idea if that is true, did you
hear anything about that?
(for my part, I will be glad if that APS sized D-SLR
materializes in foreseeable future).

> Codeveloping 35mm and MF digital slr's makes sense
as
> they can be made similar except for sensor size and
physical size. Although for
> digital the sensor will be a strong selling point,
Pentax need to update their
> features as well in order to be seen as competitive.
They also will have to expect
> quite a few years with lossleaders in order to build
up their eroded image.

I hope you are right but it will be expensive and
there is no guarantee that this will pay off in the
future. I fear that this is exactly not what they are
prepared to do. So far, I do not see a long therm
product strategy. The MZ-S looks to me as a temporary
solution rather than as the base to a series of new
high end digital and film cameras.
It took Canon more than 20 years of a consequent
product policy to get into their present dominant
position on the market.
Enjoy,
Alexander