Having spent half my life with black & white, I am amazed at the number
of people who are obsessed with using every last mm of negative and
worry about lost negative space.  I always thought that half the
photographer's job was done in the camera and the other half in a
darkroom.  I see very few pictures that couldn't be improved with a
little judicious cropping.

I have used 8x10, 4x5, 6x7, 6x6 and 35mm and I have cropped them all.
Even when you have an hour to set up and shoot a studio shot, not all
subjects will lend themselves to the format you happen to be using.  I
guess I have done too much news, sports and animal photography.  I just
want to get it on the negative.  I'll take care of the printing and
cropping later.

--
Ken Archer Canine Photography
San Antonio, Texas