On Wed, 25 Dec 2002, CBWaters wrote:
> I played with an Opto 430 today for a short time.  I can't speak to the
> quality of the pictures as I didn't get to extract them and only got to see
> them for a second before the display switched back to "live" but the camera
> was very cool.

I bought one for my girlfriend this year, well, not the 430, but the
330GS.

> It's *SMALL*

It is tiny. I think I covered the flash a few times with my thumb, though.

> It seems like a very well featured digi-P&S and I would liked to have
> pocketed it (it would have been easy) but I think my Sister-in-law might
> have had a problem with that as it belongs to her employer...

Its a neat toy, and it was definatly a hit with her as well as her family.
I haven't quite gotten a chance to read the manual or figure out what
optimum picture settings are, but its neat. She was able to get the hang
of its basic operations within seconds, so it doesn't look like there was
a big hurdle there, except I do have to say that the software that came
with it did sort of turn into a mess on her computer, and I'm just not
driven enough to troubleshoot them anymore.

I was confused by two things:
A) The battery isn't rechargable? ("check the website!" you say, I will, I
reply, I just haven't had a chance when I thought of it, perhaps
now....oh, look, its the RS that has a rechargable, whoops.. well, I
wanted to invest in a rechargable alkaline kit anyway, looks like now is
the time...) (imagine that, RS means "rechargable," hmm...)

B) There's no TWAIN driver? Just the weird USB disc drive thing? I
couldn't seem to locate much in the way of downloads on the pentax site.

> got lots of picture frames for Christmas but no lenses ;)

No frames, no lenses, no monorail 4x5 (one of my suggestions)..but I did
give away plenty of framed photos.. Now, I just have to start going to
peoples' houses to see if they hung them. :)

--
http://www.infotainment.org       <->     more fun than a poke in your eye.
http://www.eighteenpercent.com    <->     photography and portfolio.