Once again I got tempted into replying :)

K bodies have dimmer focusing screens than M bodies. I own a K2DMD and
several M and LX body. The LX is brightest and easiest to focus.

K bodies have older technology groundglasses. These are dimmer and
more cluttered than these found from M onwards. The groundglass
portion is divided into two portions on some "pro" K bodies
(KX,K2,K2DMD afaik): central fine matt circle and less fine fresnel
surrounding which fills the rest of the frame. The central fine is
good for fine focusing if the focusing aids cannot be used because of
insufficient image detail or features or too slow lens.

Based on my experience:

best viewfinder - LX. bright, features additional condenser above
screen (UNLIKE all other M & later bodies) to which LX screens are
computed for with it in mind (other screens in the LX give dimmer
corners).

second best - MX. Higher magnification than LX by 0.05, but viewfinder
not as good in the corners (the LX finder is sharper in the corners).
Also, it's good to install a new screen in the MX (requiring either
recalibration of the meter or deliberately setting iso to lower). I
like the MZ-M's screen there, whose focusing aids don't blacken out
even with 5.6 lenses (especially useful with screwmount wides which
are used stopped down via the adapter and 400/5.6 lenses), unlike
LX/MX default screen's focusing aids. But the MZ-M has slightly worse
microcontrast. But it's brighter. I found it the meter had to be set
to "overexpose" 1/2 stop.

ME-Super: nice viewfinder too. But can't interchange screens. Still
quite brighter than K series.

K series - good with fast lenses. Is dim but still very usable in
normal light. But for available light - no no. Same for the
Spotmatics. For available light with fast lenses - it's sort of
unusable. I have Spotmatic, K2DMD,ME-S,MX,LX and other cameras not
from Pentax, and I shoot a lot in available light. The Spotmatic had
worst screen for this (I exchanged it for another camera's screen, but
with recalibration of focus).

What's good about lasermatte screens (M and later) is that you can
focus and see image detail all over the frame, unhindered by fresnel
rings. What's bad about older screens with traditional fresnel lens
builtin is that you can't focus well in the corners of the frame.

In my opinion, Pentax's screens were not very good until the M series
for available light. For plenty of light all screens are good. That's
because Spotmatic and K bodies screens use two parts - a fresnel with
another groundglass/fresnel on it, causing visible fresnel lens rings
and worse brightness (but the traditional groundglass they employ
makes very fine focus assesment possible in good light. I use a
Spotmatic screen as the groundglass on film plane with which to check accuracy of
focusing system). The M and later use single screen which combines all
of these, produced by laser technology. The latter the better (but the
AF screens are too much bright, making manual focus worse).

That's all :) I would say if you photograph landscapes, in daylight,
etc, get the KX - it's heavy but good old brass and glass (the K2DMD -
another brass one - is real joy to use), offers true MLU. If you shoot
a lot in available light or quick focusing reportage, get the MX. It's
smaller, quieter and MLU can be engaged via the MLU trick. And the
screen is better.

Best regards,
   Frantisek Vlcek