I have three bodies: Super Program (TTL); Ricoh XR-2s (no TTL, no flash
used), and Ricoh XR-P (TTL). I've been using a Ritz Quantaray QTB-9000A
tilt/swivel/bounce flash with the SP. The beauty of a Quantaray modular
flash (or ProMaster, the actual maker) is that you can use it in TTL on
Pentax manual-focus, Pentax autofocus, and Ricoh manual focus by changing
the $15 module. In fact, the Pentax and Ricoh manual-focus modules merged a
while back; a single model covers both brands of manual-focus TTL body.

The newer, motorized AF Quantarays and ProMasters are fully dedicated; they
cannot be used on manual-focus Pentax (or Ricoh) bodies. Too bad, because
these AF models--as well as AF models from Sigma and others--let you shoot
with a 28mm lens without needing a diffuser. Some of the Quantarays and
ProMasters do, too, but not the powerful tilt/swivel models, like mine.

This evening I ordered a new Ricoh/Pentax module and a used QTB-9500A, which
(unlike the older 9000) can be used with third-party quick-cycle external
batteries. I also ordered a Quantaray off-camera flash bracket for $30.

While I was at it, I ordered a pair of Omni-Bounce diffusers for my two
Quantarays from Sto-Fen (http://www.stofen.com) for $20 each.

I can now use the Quantaray/OmniBounce flash, on or off-camera, on my Pentax
or my Ricoh TTL camera. I now have a spare flash for each TTL camera. And if
I ever get an autofocus Pentax, a $15 module is all I'll need to buy.

Anyone thinking of getting a high-end flash should check out a used unit.
Used flashes seem to be a buyer's market; supply exceeds demand. I picked up
my top-of-the-line 9500A for $30, about one-third the new price.

Ritz Camera is at http://www.ritzcamera.com .
ProMaster flash is at http://www.promaster.com/flashes.html .

[EMAIL PROTECTED]