Chris,

The lens you had trouble with was indoubtably a PKA/R mount. The R part of the mount is indeed the flange that gets stuck in the Pentax power zoom contact. THe R prart, if I remember right, was created by Rioch when they adapted the K-mount to their camera's prior to the Pentax AF lenses and camera line.