Really good insulated clothing, and don't stand in one place to long you might freeze to
the ground.

At 10:23 AM 1/2/2003 +0200, you wrote:
I sit down and plan all my shots inside by the fire. When I've decided what
I'm going to do I put on two pairs of long woollen underwear. A denim shirt,
a jersey and two pairs of woollen socks. A quilted snowsuit goes over the
top. Finally a pair of boots with woollen liners and a fur hat. I usually
wear thin cotton gloves with ordinary, also quite thin, leather gloves over
them. I can stand 20 - 30 minutes if there's no wind. The camera - a plastic
P30t -  seems unaffected. It will work for as long as it takes my fingers to
become too cold to operate the buttons. I stop now and again and warm my
hands under my arms. One may sweat inside the layers, but fingers soon
become useless. Most of the heat loss takes place when handing the metal
tripod. I have an idea there may be such things as battery heated gloves (as
there are socks) and I'm going to try to find out if they exist. But I'm
betting they'll be too thick. It was -27C when I took some shots of tree
tops a few weeks ago.

I had a friend who used to take pictures of the heavens through a 14"
Celestron using a Nikon body. He kept an external battery pack in his pocket
and stayed outside for hours - but not when it was really cold. By the way -
how on earth can you stay outdoors for 2 hours at -40C?

Don

(its only -24C this morning)

Dr E D F Williams

http://personal.inet.fi/cool/don.williams