> It's not semantics. It's simple logic. How can one consciously interact
> with something they don't know exists? (break a rule) Only the person
> who knows the rule exists can know that the rule has been broken.

Bruce: THERE ARE NO RULES. You photograph by looking at things and showing
them with your camera. Arrange things in the viewfinder by LOOKING at the
viewfinder and choosing what looks best to you. If you're good at it, other
people will know it. If you aren't good at it, then at least you've
satisfied yourself. There is absolutely no need whatsoever to know one
single rule in order to photograph well, and many great photographers NEVER
think or speak of such things.

If you have guidelines for yourself, fine. If other people find it helpful
to use guidelines, fine. If other people find it interesting to deconstruct
composition ex post facto, fine. They can do whatever they want. I can do
whatever I want. You can do whatever you want. You know why? Because THERE
ARE NO RULES.

--Mike