Pål wrote:
>> If you have guidelines for yourself, fine. If other
people find it helpful
>> to use guidelines, fine. If other people find it
interesting to deconstruct
>> composition ex post facto, fine. They can do
whatever they want. I can do
>> whatever I want. You can do whatever you want.
>

> You can't do whatever you want and created
interesting or good images, something every
> photographer have bitterly experienced.
>

>> You know why? Because THERE
>> ARE NO RULES.
>

> If there are no rules, there are no good images as
theres nothing separate between
> them. After all, everything is possible so
everything must be equally good.
> Furthermore, if there are no rules every
photographer is doomed to lifetime of
> frustration as it is impossible to produce good
images on a consistent basis as all
> there is to it is pointing the camera in random
direction and hope for luck.

> Pål

No, it is not about rules it is about awareness, what
you are talking about. Certainly, knowing how the
brain-eye system works helps to increase the
awareness. But these are not rules. E.g. the "rule of
the third" is not as "rule" it is sort of an the
effect of how the brain-eye system works. An image may
be felt as "good" because of following that "rule" or
because of disregarding it depending on what you want
to show.

A good photograph is one that we remember. That is
quite simple. Take 10 photographs you remember and you
will see that every image is perceived as "good" for
different reasons. Or "rules" in your diction - you
can probably derive hundreds of "rules" from these 10
images.
Quite obviously, it does not work like this.
Photography is about seeing, awareness, imagination
and "understanding" (I mean "understanding" the story
behind the picture) ...
Enjoy,
Alexander