25%
<18%>
12%
6%
3%
1.5%
.7%
.3%

Nope nope 18% is not in the center, unless you say white paper can not
relect mor than 72%. As you can see above 12% is the center of a 7 stop
range and 6% is the center of a 9 stop range.  Actually, IIRC, Adams
selected 9% as zone V which would make 18% zone VI.

So why was 18% reflectance chosen as our exposure reference?

Well, because, as I said, it is the average relectance of the world around
us and so was chose as the reference value.

So why is 18% used as a reference in graphic arts, probably because it was
there. <grin>

Note to Doe: the reason you can use a gray card is because when the patch is
corrected to neutral gray all color cast is gone. Colors might still not be
accurate but it is about as close as you are going to get. Now if you need
one particular color to be accurate you need to use a color reference so the
filter pack can be ajusted to that color, but then all the other colors may
be off more than if you had used neutral gray as your reference point.

Ciao,
Graywolf
http://pages.prodigy.net/graywolfphoto