> I guess there must be 2 of them. According to the blurb at the back of
> the boo 'the shipping forecast has fed his imagination since
> childhood', which implies he's British.

Bob,
Yep, there are two of them. My Mark Power was b. 1937, the British chap is
much younger. I ordered the book last night.

Also ordered your Godwin recommendation. Sounds interesting.

> Yep. That's the one I've got, signed in his own fair hand, for me. <g>

Wow. Double wow! That's a prize. You should have a clamshell box made for
that one, that's a thousand dollar book easily, worth even more to you. I
ordered a copy (of the first reprint) of this one last night, too. I don't
know the work.

> Similar story - same friend has a copy of this one that he bought new.
> I know of a few copies over here at reasonable(-ish) prices. I'd love
> the DDD book. I have a first edition of 'This is War!', but 'War
> without Heroes' is the one to have.

One of my better books. I have a very fine first edition in a perfect dj
that I paid $150 for a decade or so ago. It doesn't need to be in great
condition, though--it's a really astonishing feat of photojournalism and the
cumulative effect of the pictures is amazing. DDD was peripatetic
aesthetically, but I have a huge amount of respect for what he went through
going back to war at essentially the age I am now. I can hardly imagine it.

> A lot of great stuff - a lot I've never even heard of. I'll keep the
> list though!

I named some of my less common things, no use listing all the usual
chestnuts.

One blanket recommendation, buy anything you see by John Szarkowski. Fine
writer.

Tell me about James Ravilious--I've never heard of him.

--Mike