> I agree. I used to have 'Looking at Photographs', but it disappeared
> somewhere along the way. Since it's been reprinted I keep meaning to
> buy it again, but have yet to do so.

Oh, man, don't miss it. I did a series of articles called "Building a Basic
Photography Library" for the old _Camera & Darkroom_ magazine and I named
this as the single book I'd want to have if I could have only one.

Of his recent books, _A Maritime Album_ is fascinating if you like ships and
the sea, and his _Atget_ is the best single-volume book to have on Atget.
Wonderful book. The little mini-essays, a literary form of which Szarkowski
is a master, are like little prose-poems.

> He's not terribly well known, but his work is world class. I will
> quote from the blurbs on his books: "Born in 1939, the son of Eric
> Ravilious, the water-colourist and wood-engraver, and artist Tirzah
> Garwood,

Cool! Tirzah was the name of Ben-Hur's sister, I think. I grew up sailing a
beautiful 29-foot wooden sloop named Tirzah. My great-grandfather bought it
from General Lew Wallace, who wrote _Ben-Hur_.

> James Ravilious first studied, and taught, painting in London
> before taking up photography and moving to North Devon to work for the
> Beaford Arts Centre. For the next 17 years he [...made...] his own
> in-depth record of a rural tradition that is inevitably fading."
>
> This means he spent 17 years photographing in and around a small,
> remote farming community in a forgotten backwater of England. The
> photos are a soft, subtle and warm evocation of a life that was often
> hard and grim. He used a Leica M3 with old uncoated threadmount
> lenses, and shot contre-jour as much as he could because he liked the
> soft tonal gradation it produces. He also monkeyed around with his
> chemicals (compensating development, as per Ansel Adams. This is described
> in 'An English Eye') to increase the effect. The results seem to me exactly
> right for the subject.
>
> Many of the photographs are iconic in rather the same way that some of
> say Brassai's Hungarian rural photographs are iconic: once you've seen
> them it feels as though you've always know them. Alan Bennett
> describes his work well: "the picture he presents is harsh,
> unflinching and never picturesque. He photographs hard, ill-paid work,
> work that has gnarled and twisted the bodies of those who had to do
> it, and while it is Edward Thomas who is the poet quoted in the text,
> it is the plain speaking of Thomas Hardy that they recall for me".
>
> I think this contrast between Edward Thomas and Thomas Hardy is
> exactly right. Other people I've spoken to who know his work tend to
> be rather fanatical about it!

Sounds like something I would like. Thank you for the excellent
introduction--I will definitely check him out.

--Mike