> Is it AHH-sah-HEE or ahh-SAH-high or something else entirely?

I don't know, but I heard somewhere that the proper Japanese
pronunciation is almost without syllabic emphasis, although your
first example seems close to that intent.  Nonetheless, I tend to
(probably most incorrectly) pronounce Asahi as "ahh-SAH-hee".

I even wonder about the word "Takumar".  I always say "TAK-you-mar",
but I've often wondered if it really should be something like
"TAK-oo-mar" (or even something entirely different) - <g>.

However, I think I do pretty well with "PEN-tax" - <g>, despite my
Boston/Massachusetts accent.  (Actually, we don't have an accent
here, at the acknowledged Hub of the Universe, but the rest of the
world does - <g>. But I digress...)

;-)

Fred