On Thursday 23 January 2003 08:22 pm, Ann Sanfedele wrote:
>  This goes for some idiomatic expressions that mean quite different >
> things across boarders and oceans.  Getting "knocked-up" in Great
> Britain vs. USA, for instance.  <g>

Then there is the generational differences in idiomatic expression.
I was in my late 20's and getting ready to go out for the evening and my
mother asked me if I was going out "balling". After a couple coughs and a
quizzical no it dawned on me that "balling" to her generation was the
equivalent of "partying" to mine. I never did have the courage to explain
her faux pax to her.

BUTCH

"Each man had only one genuine vocation - to find the way to himself"
Hermann Hesse (Demian)