Mike Johnston wrote:

> > Webster's Second
>
> I found this brief little web-soundbite about Webster's Second. It lays out
> the story fairly well:
>
> http://www.inu.org/bieyi/cruises/webster.htm

Great info!

I've been saving this post to be answered, but haven't got around to
it for some reason. Too danged busy, I think.

I've almost always been of the opinion that a dictionary should
reflect current usage (descriptive.)
I think a teacher told me that once, a long time ago, and it made
sense. Still does, with caveats.

After reading the site info you supplied, I just wonder...I probably
ought to have two. One descriptive for my working dictionary, used to
help me put down words in an reasonable fashion, to be understood by
most readers.
The other should be my valued reference work, a prescriptive
dictionary of respectful heritage.

I currently use "The American Heritage Dictionary, Second College
Edition" for everyday use, and a big "2nd Unabridged Edition of The
Random House Dictionary of the English Language," as my fallback
source. The final reference. The law.

I don't think I have room in my little house for a proper reference
work, as they are huge and take up a lot of space.
They belong on their own podium (or whatever you call it) with a
light, so you can leave it ready for use. I even hate to drag out the
Random House Dictionary often, as it's upright in a bookcase (one of
our 8!) and putting it back is a pain!

Anyhow, good post/URL and I'll keep it for a while, for more leisurely reading.

keith