On 1/28/03 7:15 PM, "Pål Jensen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Also, many DSLR buyers will be first time slr buyers and hence don't own
> lenses the camera needs to fit. Lets not forget that most slr owners owns only
> a couple of zoom lenses anyway, so buying another brand of DSLR isn't such a
> big deal.

This is true.  In fact, it was Pentax that created the frenzy to more
affordable SLRs (at least in Japan) when they introduced MZ series (MZ-5 to
be exact).  A lot of people who were content with P&S suddenly realized that
SLRs were affordable (and probably many did not even know what SLR really
meant and what it could do).  Canon Rebel and Minolta Alpha Sweet etc were
enormously benefited from this.  Nikon jumped on this frenzy too by F60 and
U etc.
I always thought that Pentax's marketing dept did have brain in their head,
cultivating the mass of their P&S users and later pushed them to SLRs.

Yes, N/C are ahead in DSLR market for now, but in a way, the rapid
development of DSLR market gave Pentax a brand new opportunity to start
fresh, as it did to Olympus (although I have no idea if their 4/3 system
would be successful).  Development of the downstream infrastructure (direct
printing w/o the intermediary computer for the mass market users who won't
bother with PhotoShop) is also important and Pentax is right there.  And
they now have more digital P&S users among the big 4 (not counting Sony
etc).
It is good for all of us that we will have choices, be it N/C/P or even M.,
and I am sure that Pentax DSLR will again be the well thought-out product
with affordable price tag.

Cheers,

Ken