On a related note, when I moved to my current location, I noticed that
I was getting water spots on my film when they dried. Basically the
water here is very hard and leaves deposits on the film surface.
Apparently it's very stubborn too, as 2 vigorous baths in distilled
water doesn't totally remove the gunk either.

Anyway, I was going through loads of filtered water, which is a PIA to
lug home, so I tried to use water from a Brita.

That water was *worse* than the tap water wrt gunk spots on the film.

Now I use the filtered water and give a final wipe with a film
chamois, which generlly does the trick.

tv