Doug,

Yeah, I was trying to figure out exactly what he was saying.  Seems
like a piece of crap shot (out of focus, badly exposed) on medium or
large format wouldn't be compared to anything.

I was commenting based on actual experience of taking high quality
35mm shots with good films and good lenses and good technique compared
to the same thing done with medium format.  Before I shot medium
format I was always trying to justify to myself that 35mm was good
enough for enlargements (beyond 8X10), but finally having made the
move, I can say for myself that MF is significantly better looking in
the larger prints.  That doesn't mean there isn't a time and place
where 35mm is the best choice, just that a bigger negative makes for a
better bigger picture.

Bruce