Mike Johnston wrote:

> 300-dpi 8x10 = 2400 x 3000 = 7,200,000
>
> 240-dpi 8x10 = 1920 x 2400 = 4,608,000
>
> So you need a 7-mp camera for a top quality inkjet 8x10 and a 4.5-mp
> camera for an adequate-quality 8x10. That's without rezzing up,
> interpolating, anything. Note that some experts say you can't tell the
> difference visually between a 300-dpi print and a 240-dpi print. I have no
> opinion on that.

Don't forget that digital camera marketers count each R, G and B sensor
separately in the megapixel rating.  In which case it should probably be
called megadots.  While I'm being pedantic, I assume you mean ppi instead
of dpi in your printing resolution ;)

The file comes out with the right amount of megapixels because of the
software interpolation making guesses about what's going on between the
sensors.  This adds to the filesize but doesn't add any actual
information.

So you need to multiply your numbers by three; ie 21.6Mp and 13.8Mp
respectively.

Cheers,

- Dave

http://www.digistar.com/~dmann/