Chris wrote:

> How can anyone in Pentax act surprised that no one is buying an
> MMM camera when they've jacked up the price on them to exorbitant levels?

I don't think this is true.

> If Nikon can sell a brand new FM3a for under $500 US when they still have
> to recoup their R&D on the hybrid shutter, then why can't Pentax offer a
> camera like the LX for a reasonable price?

Because the Nikon is based on a camera whose developing costs was payed for by 1980 at
the latest. It is manufactured at production facilities also payed for way back. The
redesign was minor. Nikon has the largest market of any for such cameras. Hence, the
volume is much larger. The LX is a much more complicated and expensive camera. If you
want to compare it to a Nikon, compare it to the F3; they cost the same.
The Pentax was also hand-made.
Pentax loose money on the LX. I won't be surprised if the same is the case for the
FM3a. It is most likely a gesture to their conservative user base more than a
commercial succes.

Pål