Mike,

Personally, I couldn't imagine using a metal, manual, mechanical camera. But if that's what you want . . .

I would buy the FM3A. My father-in-law is a nature photographer (he's 75). He was recently in New Orleans and his beloved FM2 was stolen from his hotel room. One phone call to B&H, and a brand new, black FM3A is on its way. He is soooo happy because it is exactly like his FM2 only better. I have to admit that its a sweet little camera. Aperture Priority, TTL flash that syncs at 1/250, useable without batteries.

Nikon has maintained a serious committment to its manual-focus user base all these years. When the FM3A was released, they also released the 45mm f/2.8 P pancake lens. I bought one to use on my N80. I wound up selling it because I hated the manual focus part, but it is a really sweet lens. Beautiful Bokeh, sharp wide open (only f/2.8 though), beautiful color. My photos with that lens were stunning. If I am not mistaken, Popular photography proclaimed the 45mm and the Pentax 43mm to be two of "the three best prime lenses ever" or something like that. (So I don't get thrown off this list, I like my FA 50mm f/1.4 better).

I think 43mm or 45mm is the perfect "normal" focal length. You add the 105 f/2.5 for portraits, and then start saving for the 28mm f/1.4 :-) . Now you're all set.

If you want new AND metal, manual, mechanical, you have really limited your options. The good news is that it makes your decision pretty easy.

Michael

Mike Johnston wrote:

If one day...I cannot buy a new camera body that
supports my investment, then I will feel betrayed.

Boz....
I hate to say this, but that day is pretty much here for me. Has been for a
while now.
Here's my big dilemma. I like buying bodies new, simply because I like to
know there are no hidden problems, and I like to be able to replace a body
immediately and with no hassle in case of loss. Plus, I like to know I have
the latest in the basic technology--screens and light meters and such.
Finally, I like to be able to find accessories.

But the kind of camera I prefer is on life support.

I've said it before--I like metal, manual, mechanical cameras. "Classic"-era
SLRs. But the only company that's released one in recent years is Nikon.

Much as I love my ES II, it's an antique. If it broke, or I dropped it, or
it was stolen, it would take a lot of work to find a replacement. It has
some peculiarities; it's outdated in some ways. It's o-l-d. I feel it every
time I take it out of the house: it's not just a tool, it's a treasure.

I keep coming back to the same conclusion: that I should just get an FM3a.
If Pentax still made _one_ old-style metal-manual-mechanical SLR...one
classic Pentax...but it doesn't.

It's not like the FM3a is any great paragon. It's no modern F2 or Spotmatic
or anything. It's kind of a cheap-ass, crappy example of the genre,
actually.
But it's the genre I prefer. And it's what's out there.

Tough problem.

So tell me what you'd do. Comments, jokes, opinions, sympathy, ridicule,
from anybody, all welcome.

--Mike