Yes, I do that too, in good light with plenty of time to shoot. It's good technique with portraits.

Len
---

That is true.  But many times I will slowly move the focus back and
forth within the composition to see the effect, or my composition is
such (commonly portraiture) that no AF sensor would be right over the
eye.  AF is great, but it isn't necessary for some types of shooting.
It is almost essential for other types. Knowing your own style, the
capability of the equipment and lots of practice helps you to get the
most from the technology.  Having the capability to use AF is very
nice.

Bruce