This sounds reasonable and this is what I have
concluded from the various press releases.

Alexander

Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 11:23:26 -0800
From: Bruce Dayton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

My read on that is that if the custom function is set
one way it
behaves like a bottom end model - can't properly use
K,M lenses.  If
set the other way it functions just like all the other
program capable
bodies - that is, aperture priority and manual are
available.

Someone who is capable of reading about, understanding
and setting
custom functions will set it one way and use their
olders lenses.
Someone who has no clue what we are talking about will
be required to
use newer lenses.  I don't see it as crippling.

Bruce