Lawrence wrote:

"To most people, a SLR should look like a SLR; it's
hard to make it
"stylish" without looking cheesy.  And *ist D control
layout is well
honed
and well proven; and it is ergonomically driven.  This
is much more
important than to change everthing just to make it
"look different"
from
Canon and Nikon.

On the contrary, *ist D design looks very "Pentax".
You can black out
all
the labels, put it with a D100 and 10D, most people
can identify the
Pentax from 20 feet away.   The compactness and the
pentaprism
housing's
low profile is Pentax trademark.  I personally believe
that it would
make
*ist D stand out in the store shelf when put side by
side with the
Canon's
and Nikon's DSLRs."

I agree. Wouldn't you say that the LX, F3 and F1
looked the same??? Perhaps looking too different can
be a burden?

Does anyone know here how SUCCESSFUL the MZ-S is? Was
it a run away hit or was it a strike out?

While the *ist-D does resemble a Nikon a bit, it
clearly is a Pentax in design and function: good
ergonomics, SMALL, LIGHT, and can use any K lens.

What's not to like?

Peter