Hello folks,

Well it's like it's always is on the PDML. People asks for a DSLR, otherwise they're going to jump the ship. Pentax shows the DSLR, and people still consider to jump the ship, because the *ist D "can't compete with Canon anyway". Come on, the product isn't finished yet. The final specification list is not ready. Somehow I feel that Pentax has some surprises hidden up their sleeve.

I'm thinking about the new lenses for the *ist D. If those are "tailor made" - forming a new lens line (FA D lenses?) - they might have new AF technology. AF motors in the lenses, image stabilisation. A new compact line of lenses with wide-angles, standardzooms and telephotos. It's very possible Pentax digital future doesn't end with the *ist D, I'm sure that they'll working on an even more advanced model. Perhaps a digital version of the filmbased flagship that we have waited for so long. This body could be a full frame digital, but I don't believe in it. Having two digital systems isn't economical (even if Nikon seems ready for such a solution). What happens with the development of new FA lenses? I don't know. If Pentax are working on special digital lenses that are not compatible with filmbased cameras, then I'm afraid that we won't see so much happening with the current FA line. I'm sure we'll see another Limited, we might even see a new telezoom with internal lens motors and image stabilisation - but perhaps not so much more. It all depends on the digital flagship. If it has a full frame sensor, then Pentax can continue developing the FA lenses. But still, having two digital systems... Pentax? From a user perspective, this would of course be the ideal solution. But from Pentax perspective? If they're going to make a full frame digital, then this will surely be professional and the lenses for it needs to be professional too. If this scenario is likely to happen, then I believe we won't see any more standard FA lenses. Everything will be high-end, because the FAD lenses (for the smaller digital system) will replace the current low-end to mid-market FA lenses. And I believe that the FAD lenses will lack aperture ring.

We might end up in a situation where Pentax has two systems - where the small sized digital can use the high-end lenses, but the high-end bodies can't use the low-end lenses. But then, why put a low-end lens on a high-end body? If you have a lot of low-end lenses and you want to upgrade your body, what to do?

So, I don't personally believe in Pentax going full frame with 35mm (I'm sure they're working on this for the medium format bodies).
I believe that we'll end up with two systems - one digital, and a classic filmbased. And the digital system can use all lenses for the filmbased K-mount, but the filmbased can't use the special digital lenses. Some new lenses will come for the filmbased system (Limiteds, updates to the FA* and other things), but most new lenses are likely to be digital only - at least in the future, it all depends on how well the *ist D do. Some lenses will be suitable for both systems, to make the transition easier (like the FAJ 18-35).

Those are just my own speculations, but it sounds quite logical - or not?

Anyway, I'm not in the market for a digital. I will probably buy the filmbased *ist, as a replacement for my MZ-10. I keep my MZ-5n for macro work (due to the better viewfinder).

Best wishes,
Roland

Skaffa fler messengerkontakter - Vinn 10.000 i resecheckar! http://messenger.msn.se/promo