"Roland Mabo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>We might end up in a situation where Pentax has two systems - where the
>small sized digital can use the high-end lenses, but the high-end bodies
>can't use the low-end lenses.

Not at all. A high end (full frame) digital body could automatically
detect when a "compact digital" lens (made for an APS-sized sensor) was
attached. Then the camera would use just the central part of its sensor
- just like cropping (which is what APS-sized sensors are really doing
now).

So your 10+ megapixel full-frame DSLR would automatically become a 6
megapixel "APS" DSLR whenever the appropriate lens was attached.

Best of both worlds in one camera.

Since this could be accomplished entirely in software, the additional
cost would be minimal.

It wouldn't surprise me if the upcoming Nikon full frame DSLR did this.

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing