>My favourite lens for use with a 35mm SLR is a 35mm F2.
>
>From the Pentax prime lenses available at present which is the most
>suitable for use with the  *ist D that will give me more or less a 35mm
>equivalent.?

Hi Harry,

35mm f/2 would be a good choice for the *ist D as a 'standard' lens (52mm
effective).

Of course many photographers would consider the 35mm lens to be a
standard lens on a 35mm film camera. Slightly wide, not a lot, great for
street. To get there on the *ist D, you're looking at the 24mm 2.8 (36mm
effective). But to get the equivelant of a 28mm lens, it starts getting
tricky. The 20mm (30mm effective) is slightly long for 28. In 'A' lenses,
the next one down is the megabucks 15 3.5 (22.5mm effective) and maybe
too wide. There's the 18mm 3.5 (27mm effective) which would be ideal, but
is rare and not cheap. This is why DAPS-sized DSLRs and wide angle lenses
do not sit comfortably together.

The Pancake 40mm (60mm effective) will make a nice standard lens on the
long side. That will be a very small combination on the *ist D - could be
a good street cam, that. For me, the 50 1.2 (75mm effective) would be a
perfect partner.

Good luck,

HTH

Cotty