Steve,

When doing daylight fill flash you are normally limited to the flash
synch speed for the shutter.  Many times this requires you to choose a
very small f-stop due to the brightness.  HSS allows you to choose any
shutter speed you want above the flash synch by strobing the flash so
that the image is evenly illuminated.  Naturally the range of the
flash is severely shortened.  Most useful for portraits in the
daylight - killing shadows on the face, putting a catchlight in the
eyes.

Bruce