Lately we have seen a lot of "What is wrong with Pentax", "If Pentax won't deliver this product I will leave Pentax", "Canon is stronger than Pentax", and the like, and we have seen some people, including the creator of the KMP, jump ship.

Well, I believe that everybody on the PDML may jump ship and may have good reasons to do so. I even agree that the Canon AF system is more advanced and more complete. If someone wants IS, USM, eye-controlled AF sensor selection, AF teleconverters, and zooms like the 17-40/f4 USM or 70-200/f4 USM, then Canon EOS is the system to choose.

I agree that it would be very good if Pentax would produce IS and USM lenses, AF teleconverters and zooms for enthusiastic amteurs. However, I would like to point out why in my eyes the Pentax 35mm SLR system is not inferior, and why I will stick to Pentax even if we will never see IS or USM in the Pentax system.

1.) The Pentax system contains manual focus and auto focus gear in one system. Overall, the system is even bigger than Canon's EOS system.
2.) KX, K2DMD, MX, LX, MZ5N, Z1-P - there just are no EOS equivalents.
3.) K-, M-, A-, A* and Limited series lenses - there just are no EOS equivalents.
4.) Holes in Pentax's AF lens line-up can be filled with non-AF gear or 3rd party gear. For example the A70-210/f4 or the Tokina AF 80-200/f2.8 are not worse than the 70-200/f4 USM.
5.) Actually, I seldom use zooms or teleconverters, anyway. Primes just are better, and Pentax's primes line-up is more than sufficient for me. See my focal length line-up: 15, 17, 20, 24, 28, 35, 40, 43, 50, 77, 85, 100, 120, 135, 150, 200, 300 and 500mm There is no Pentax 200/f1.8, but I wouldn't want to carry and pay such beast anyway.
6.) Small size and moderate weight of most Pentax gear make it very protable. My photo bag just could not carry as much Canon lenses as it carries Pentax lenses. Another example: The Canon 10 D is 55% more heavy than the *ist D !!
7.) SMC
8.) I like the well-designed user interface and the finders of most Pentax cameras, and I am used to them. When shooting the user interface and the viewfinder are more important than most other camera features.
9.) Some Pentax cameras offer less features than those of other companies, however, I often see that as an advantage. Less features are more easy to control. A good example is the MZ5-N.
10.) I doubt that AF with USM is much faster than AF with modern Pentax AF cameras, and I am sure that K-, M- and A lenses are more quiet than even USM.
11.) I would like IS for available light photography. However, not even Canon produces a fast IS normal prime.
12.) I like mechanics and direct control more than electronics and indirect control.
13.) With the exception of non-star FA series lenses, most Pentax gear just feels better than Canon gear to me. This, of course, is very subjective.
14.) While it is true that some Pentax items are hard to find, eventually everything can be found, and the chasing is fun.
15.) As SLR producer Pentax today is the underdog. Most of the time I am quite happy NOT to go with the flow, thus I like Pentax.
16.) PDML
17.) Good and friendly contact to Pentax Germany.
18.) Pentax invented the Japanese 35mm SLR, and I believe that Pentax will continue to develop its 35mm SLR system. The *ist and the *ist D are just the beginning, we will see more when the digital SLR becomes an affordable mass product, even a full frame DSLR.

Greetings from Hamburg, Germany,

Arnold